NIE in Valencia

NIE in Valencia

If you’re planning to live in Valencia, you probably have heard a lot about the NIE. What is it, why do you need one, and how do you get it? And what about the TIE? There is certainly a lot of information available online. Still, it’s important to remember that what you’re reading may not always be up-to-date or applicable to the area you’re looking to move to. Much movement is going on regarding a NIE and TIE in Valencia and NIE numbers in Spain in general. Dream Properties Valencia is here to update you on the current process.

NIE in Valencia

Your NIE number is your identification number in Spain. NIE means Número de Identificación de Extranjero, and you will only have to apply once, even if you move somewhere else in Spain. The NIE number is valid for life.

Do you need a NIE?

A NIE is usually required when searching for houses, applying for a job, opening a bank account or starting a business. However, nowadays, there are more and more banks where you can open an account showing your passport. Also, when it comes to renting a property, more owners are willing to rent it out without a NIE number. By law, social security offices or notaries should accept passports from Schengen countries instead of NIE numbers when helping you get insurance and other documentation. However, this doesn’t always work in practice. Spanish computer systems often won’t let you complete a form or make certain appointments without a NIE number. As such, everyone looking to conduct any legal business in Spain should obtain a NIE number.

However, it’s important to note that a NIE number does not authorise you to live in Spain for more than 90 days in any 180-day period. For non-EU citizens, you will also need to apply for a TIE to live in Spain for this length of time (your NIE number is also shown on your TIE).

Station close to Calle Bailen Valencia


How Do You Get a NIE Number?

If you’re from a non-EU country and intend to reside in Spain for longer than 90 days in a 180-day period, you will need to apply for a TIE (you can do this once you’ve obtained your NIE number). Those from EU countries who intend to reside here will instead need to apply for a green card in addition to the NIE number. Alternatively, if you’re looking to purchase a property or take care of any other legal matters in Spain but don’t intend to reside here, you can simply apply for a NIE number.

If you’re currently in Spain, you must make an appointment at one of the correct police stations. However, please note that it can be tricky to get an appointment, so do this as soon as possible. Also, make sure you have the following documentation ready for your appointment:

1) Fill out this form (EX15) in Spanish. Contact us if you need assistance.

2) Your passport with your visa, if you have one, and a photocopy of all the pages.

3) Fill out the Modelo 790-012 and pay the tax at a bank or ATM.

4) Bring proof of why you need an NIE (e.g., a real estate contract).

If you get your NIE number as a non-resident, you will receive it on A4 paper, which you will need to keep safe!

You must go through your closest Spanish consulate if you’re applying from your home country. Before your appointment at the consulate, ensure you have all the documentation listed above.

We can support you in getting things done correctly. There are also lawyers and administration offices in Spain specialising in getting the NIE number. Dream Properties Valencia has connections in the whole Comunidad Valenciana.

Relocation Valencia

If you have plans to purchase a property in Valencia or the surrounding region, a lawyer (authorised to act on your behalf by a notary) can help you obtain a NIE number within 2-4 weeks. We can also help facilitate this, so please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information. We’re also happy to help you with the entire relocation process (including schools, insurance etc.).

Obtaining A TIE

So, what about the TIE? This stands for Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero. This is an identity card for foreigners issued to non-EU residents in Spain. Non-EU citizens who have yet to register as residents in Spain but intend to reside here for more than 90 days over a 180-day period will have to get a TIE.

In a nutshell:

  • NIE number (número de identidad del extranjero): the number assigned to all foreigners who need to conduct legal matters in Spain, whether they intend to reside here or not. It is also their Spanish tax identification number.
  • NIF: tax identification number for companies.
  • TIE card (Tarjeta de Identidad del Extranjero): a card for all non-EU citizens who intend to reside in Spain for 90 or more in an 180-day period. The NIE number also appears on this card. You will be required to meet additional conditions to obtain residency. Click here to find out more.
  • Green card (NIE) – NIE is also commonly used to refer to the little green card issued to EU citizens on which their NIE number also appears.

Ready to live your dream life in Valencia? Go for it! With a bit of assistance, acquiring a NIE number and other necessary documentation is relatively straightforward. Just make sure you come well-prepared. Start in time and ask the specialists. Be selective in gathering your information.

* This article was revised in December 2022, subject to changes.

More information? Please contact us or look for more information on our relocation section and expat service.

Compare listings


Certified Estate Agent

Dream Properties Valencia is Certified Estate Agent based in Valencia and meets all legal requirements to carry out the profession of estate agent in the Comunidad Valenciana.

Registered real estate agent Valencia Dream Properties